Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fire Relief Help

Living here in a hungry and dry land has opened my eyes. I get it, I mean I was born into a country where resources are unlimited. Blessed into a loving family that has supported me through the years and endless opportunities. I didn't decide to be born where I was, nor did I choose to be part of one of the wealthiest countries. But I am. 


I see the blessing in it. 


I remember one of the most devastating days of my life when my dad got ran over by the tractor. I can recount the events like yesterday. How horrific that journey of restoration and healing was. Rebuilding, reorganizing, and lots of tears. But because of my family, because of the society I was born into, I had support. Families brought food, people came to visit, friends lent their shoulder to lean on. The firemen who served with my dad and community members rallied together to pull our carpet out and replace it with hardwood so my dad could get around in his wheelchair, among countless other assistance. 


In the midst of tragedy, there was unconditional support. 


I was reminded of this, of these blessing that we are able to receive simply because of where we live and the resources we have available. And reminded that those resources aren't available to anyone. 


Yesterday I took a walk with my friend Florence. She had her daughter on her back and I had her son holding onto my sweaty hand. 



We talked bout Jesus and difficulties of this life, talked about the baby that is growing in her womb and the new life God wants to birth to each of His children. And we walked, past the gardens, past the mud huts and across the big mountain where my house sits. We went to a place called Losilang, a small village that was devastated by a fire last Sunday. They say the wind carried it and before anyone could do anything, 35 families lost everything. 



Losilang is just the tip of the iceburg. Since exploring how we can help this village we have learned that 9 families were affected in Lopotac, and 63 in Kigoli West with a grand total of 428 men women and children who are homeless. 


I learned quickly after moving to Uganda that if you pour yourself out based upon the need, you'll be no more help than an empty well. It's a recipe for a quick turn over. As far as resources go, there never seem to be enough. There are always empty bellies, always open wounds, both spiritually and physically, and always something or someone else in need of help. But as I walked around the blackened ash, seeing the burned sorghum and maize, the only food meant to last through the dry season completely charred, my heart was moved. 



We can't help the world... But we can help. We can help our neighbors. My team and I deeply desire to provide some relief to these families, so we're reaching out for your help as well. Literally, all these families have left is the clothes on their back and the few grains of maize they were able to sort from the charred mass to feed their children. 



Our hope is to provide each of these families with a bag of food, a cooking pot, blanket, water basin and a jerry can. Simply scratching the service to help rebuild what they left. 


If you feel so lead, and are able to help, please email our team at www.williamsinthewilderness.com 


You can give online via PayPal to k1nneth@yahoo.com (sorry, I tried to do a hyperlink but my mobile connection won't let me.) 


Otherwise checks can be made out to:

Advance Him 

PO Box 65147

San Antlnio, TX 78265


And of course, please keep these families in your prayers!!!


Thank you in advance my dear friends. I know the feeling of support and love from your neighbors during a difficult time and our heart is to provide the same love and support for our neighbors. 




For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, How blessed is the man who trusts in You! 
- Psalm 84:11-12

1 comment:

  1. So much laid on your heart...and a blessing reaching out to many others. Many, many ... in their country and others ... will provide necessities to turn this around. Thank you for sharing so wonderfully with the words and the photos. Laid on YOUR heart and now laid on many other hearts, including hundreds of your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete