Monday, September 30, 2013

The first week home...

Hi there. Been meaning to post for a while, but my internet out in Kacheri isn't the best. Imagine that... Once a week we come into Kotido, the next bigger "city" that has better internet. We come in to get supplies and food for the week and then we meet up with the gals that do the Akiru Project.

The Akiru Project was started by Kristi around the beginning of 2012. Seven gals from Kotido make recycled paper from scratch and eventually it becomes this beautiful journal. 
You can look at the journals and buy some at theakiruproject.com - the proceeds help these vulnerable women. All the women who are on the project have either been widowed or are living with HIV. 

I'm excited because Krisiti had asked me to teach, so I'm starting today! Reminds me of teaching my women out in Latodore. I'm really thankful for the opportunity again. 

Life here has been great. I love the team and really feel more and more that this place is home. I'm excited to see what The Lord has...it's only been a week, but we've been talking about how Camille and I can serve here. For those of you who don't know, Camille is my new friend, hut mate and a total answer to a prayer for a sister to work with here. 

Right now a big focus will be with the Jesus Clubs here. It's like a VBS or a good news club. Right now there are five around the Kacheri area and the hope is to help the man, Wari, who is leading them to encourage him and raise up other leaders so that more and more children can here the gospel. 

Camille and I have also been praying that The Lord would make it clear the women He would like us to walk alongside and disciple. One of the gals is going to begin giving us language lessons, and I am praying that will turn into a stirring in her hearts to know The Lord. 

Another thing we've been trying to start is with the newborns here in the area. Many of the mothers die in childbirth so it leaves these innocent little ones to be cared for either by a sibling or the grandparent or an auntie...and often there babes die of malnourishment and neglect. What Kristi and Kenneth have been doing already is coming alongside the families and providing formula for the newborns and basic needs until they're able to be sustained on things like beans and porridge and such. Camille and I hope to come alongside the families and help in whatever way we can. 

Well - I think that better be all for now. I'm off to teach the Akiru ladies! Blessings! (Also I hope this wasn't as jumbled as it seems to me - I did it on the drive into Kotido on my phone.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment