Saturday, September 14, 2013

Yada - a new perspective.

Yesterday marked my second full week here. However I will admit that it already seems like longer. Not that I am complaining. Just feels like home.

Since I have been here I have spent all my time at Seguku, which is about 6 miles outside of Kampala. One thing you have to know about Uganda is that the north and the south are night and day different. The south is very much more westernized, where as the north is not as much. I used to tell the Lord that I never wanted to come to the south - ha, and I am sure he laughed because now I am here. But I am so very thankful for this opportunity and the wonderful people I have been able to meet.

(Overlooking Seguku from Prayer Mountain) 

My first week here there was a pastor's conference where pastors all over the country came to learn about the new structure World Outreach was putting into place and to be encouraged. I was encouraged - learned so incredibly much during that time. I helped a team that came from Washington do children's ministry and was able to sit in on a couple of the messages. As much as I wanted to give and serve and pour myself out, undoubtedly I was poured into more than I could have ever gave.

Now my days are filled with teaching school to sweet little orphans that live next door with my new friend Rita. Rita is a retired accountant from Florida and an incredible woman of the Lord. The Lord brought her here after he broke her heart for the all the orphans around this region, And next week I am going to join the prison ministry! Woot woot! I am stoked for that.

Then in October I've been given the opportunity to go to South Sudan! The Lord is just opening more and more doors. Please be praying for the opportunities He's been placing in front of me. He has been giving me so many awesome opportunities to speak into individual's lives and help better structures that are already in place! It is truly incredible to be part of.

Also - keep praying for little Hope! She has been battling bacterial pneumonia. Lately I spend most of my afternoons walking her to the hospital and back so that she can get her IV treatment and nebulizer. Praying for the Lord to heal her little body and give her strength. And - of course, living in a house with many other children causes the sniffles and coughs to run around. So keep the children't health in your prayers please!

I came this year looking for the next step. Convinced that this was a time to figure out when and how to get to the Nangeye Mountains, and already the Lord has been breaking that mindset down.

In Proverbs 3:5-6 the Word says: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Perhaps one of the most well known verses in the bible. I remember having it written on a bracelet I got when I graduated from high school - but I don't know if I ever really sat and meditated on it. I was blown away to find that that word, acknowledge is sort of a poor translation. Well, perhaps not poor - but not as deep as the original Hebrew word yada which literally can be translated "to intimately know." 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways intimately know Him, and He will make your paths straight.

I sat on our veranda here at Seguku with a pastor who came in from southern California to speak at this conference and he spoke words of wisdom to me. Blatantly told me to not look for the next step or how to get somewhere but to take this time, this next year to grow more intimate and close with my first love and Savior. How cool is that? So that, my dear friends, has been my new mindset. I'm learning and trying to not get caught up in all the DOing - which we so often cause ourselves too... but finding new strength and hope and revelation in knowing Christ, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit more intimately.

It's been an amazing two weeks so far! Excited to see what the Lord has in store!

Today I am meeting my hut-mate Camille, and then her and I will head up on the bus from Kampala to Kotido, about a 12 hour journey and then Kenneth and Kristi, the missionaries in Karamoja will come and take us to our new home in Kacheri.

What fun and joy there is in walking with the Lord exactly where He has placed you. I am so very blessed. Thanks for reading! 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE. Yep, that about wraps up everything. Love you! Love the Word you posted! Love Jesus! Love. Love. Love. Praying for Seester E. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete